My kids have been wanting to go see the Croods ever since it first came out. I hesitated because I really wasn’t sure how it would be presented. I knew that it was going to be about early man, and expected it to be very evolutionary in content.
My expectations were exactly correct.
The Croods are what would be called “Cavemen”. They lived in a cave to protect them from harm out in the real world. They acted like animals, they had features like animals. These “people” are a cross between animal and human. Wonder where that idea came from?
What am I talking about? ***WARNING SPOILERS*****
- The father partially walking on his hands and feet
- The hunting scene was very much like a National Geographic Video of a lion going after it’s prey. Did I mention these are humans hunting prey?
- The Baby? Oh my..The baby was like a little wild animal that only growled and ran around on all fours.
- Do you remember the scene in The Lion King where Simba and Nala were wrestling around with one another. There was a very similar scene between 2 of the characters in The Croods, but between HUMANS, not lions.
- They all had to sniff the new guy.
- The point was made that they were NOT very intelligent. The new guy who was more “evolved” was able to make fire, have innovative ideas, etc. The “cavemen” were in awe of such things.
According to the Bible this is not how early humans behaved. Early Humans had livestock, played instruments, and even worked with Bronze and Iron.
Genesis 4:20-22 And Adah bore Jabal. He was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock. His brother’s name was Jubal. He was the father of all those who play the harp and flute. And as for Zillah, she also bore Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron. And the sister of Tubal-Cain was Naamah.
Remember Cain and Abel?? They were shepherd and farmer!
Genesis 4: 3-4 And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the Lord. Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the Lord respected Abel and his offering,
That doesn’t sound to me like they were primitive half man half beasts with only partial intelligence! Humans ARE NOT and NEVER WERE ANIMALS!!! No, we were created in His image.
Do you really think that a loving God who created the entire universe with all of it’s intricacies isn’t intelligent?
So, should you take your kids to see The Croods?
I think that’s completely up to you, but I’m glad I did. Even with all the untruths it provided for some EXCELLENT learning conversation on the ride home. My kids are decently equipped to handle such things, and it was really a great way to illustrate to them the evolutionary ideas so rampant in our society.
I also MUST mention – it was the very best 3D movie I’ve seen. The effects were wonderful!