Do's and Don'ts of a RP Character

Is your character a Mary Sue/Gary Stu?

• Nope.

• No, it's an Anti-Sue!

• I think it is, but I like it this way.

• Oh no! It is! I'll fix it!

• I didn't read the thing yet :3

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rella365

♡Helper, Artist, Show Binger, Inactive Player♡
Honestly sometimes people get so side tracked with making sure their main characters are very interesting and polished, and they succeed, but you need to spend time with side characters too. It's easy to just quickly whip up a character and a personality for a side character then call them finished without adding any backstory. Backstory isn't just for main characters, it's what makes any character feel more alive and real. It doesn't need to be a dramatic one, and they don't need to have a huge goal, but there needs to be a reason to follow along and help out the main character. Like maybe they remind them of a friend that passed away, or they are moved by their bravery and determination.

ghostieboo

Cooler than you, I suppose
Honestly sometimes people get so side tracked with making sure their main characters are very interesting and polished, and they succeed, but you need to spend time with side characters too. It's easy to just quickly whip up a character and a personality for a side character then call them finished without adding any backstory. Backstory isn't just for main characters, it's what makes any character feel more alive and real. It doesn't need to be a dramatic one, and they don't need to have a huge goal, but there needs to be a reason to follow along and help out the main character. Like maybe they remind them of a friend that passed away, or they are moved by their bravery and determination.
*WHen you don't have like, ANY characters that don't play a huge role in the story of the rps you made*

ghostieboo

Cooler than you, I suppose
-wait nvm I have side characters.. that i really only made to serve a role in someone else's backstory XDD (although because of that they usually have intertwined backstories with the character they're made for, so at least they aren't totally forgotten) to add to the character (like my OC Lukas's ded frens, sister and mother are all sort of side characters since they don't serve a huge role in the present, only the past)

Crypt

✨I want to stay by your side and never leave✨
I roleplay quite a bit. And I know a little about making OC.(Since I have a ton.(Most of them were trashed cause they sucked.)) My characters tend to have a darker past cause in the future, it's pretty good for character development. My OC always have flaws. Or disabilities. Like my OC Bobby Wood for example, has been blind in one eye since birth. He struggled a lot with it, but he's learned to live with it. :p Regardless, I enjoy creating OC and would type more, but I'm a lazy person.

Darthkitten216

♡look into your eyes and the skys the limit♡
I actually don't like my characters being op. I avoid it at all cost. It makes the rp or the character less interesting. I usually give my character one or two small powers, and try to stay away from just a category like "water" "fire" or "earth". Those can be fun, but they get a bit boring some times. I actually have a list of interesting powers I might use some day, I can post it here if you want

Triacus

the Last Sith
I actually don't like my characters being op. I avoid it at all cost. It makes the rp or the character less interesting. I usually give my character one or two small powers, and try to stay away from just a category like "water" "fire" or "earth". Those can be fun, but they get a bit boring some times. I actually have a list of interesting powers I might use some day, I can post it here if you want
#1 Sure go for it.

#2 Putting in a category is too broad. I have been absolutely yelled at for having too broad of powers. But now that i have more experiance i see why... Like having the power earth: "Oh i cause the earths core to collapse cause yah." Or water. "Well your 80% water so i just murder u instantly." Fire is fun tho "I envelops the entire universe in as torm of fire and everyone except me dias instantly no dodg no blok u hav to die no or i go cry or sumthin"

#3 Yes i spelled bad on purpose.

Crypt

✨I want to stay by your side and never leave✨
I try to avoid my characters having powers. It causes the challenge of their fights to dwindle and makes them too easy. They have no purpose in being strategic, so what's the fun in having powers?

Darthkitten216

♡look into your eyes and the skys the limit♡
I try to avoid my characters having powers. It causes the challenge of their fights to dwindle and makes them too easy. They have no purpose in being strategic, so what's the fun in having powers?
I like doing roleplays with powers becuase it makes it more interesting I guess? I also like fantasy books and stuff more than non fiction.
Different powers can clash with each other and make a fight difficult. Plus, I think a character loosing control over their powers or underestimating them can be interesting too. A character with powers might end up relieing completely on their powers like you said, and failing from lack of a plan. I'm not as interesting in watching/reading about hand to hand combat or something along those lines, I think writers can really get creative with powers and use them in unexpected ways.