Do's and Don'ts of a RP Character

Is your character a Mary Sue/Gary Stu?

• Nope.

• No, it's an Anti-Sue!

• I think it is, but I like it this way.

• Oh no! It is! I'll fix it!

• I didn't read the thing yet :3

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheObvious1

Something Different
whyy would you need to re-register your character over and over? lol

also when you have a lot of characters and wanna use more than one registering every single one can get tiring =~=
That's not what I mean. Think about how new players enter the server, they would need to be whitelisted first before playing.

Ghost's alt

This account is dead now lol
A LOT of people try to just do the first sign sometimes which is usually "Name, age, nickname/last name, username" It's better if they fill in ALL of the signs though
I don't usually fill in last names because I have a hard time coming up with last names lol

Joggy

Filled with determigration
It could be just me, but I've seen so many RP characters like this: "Is the princess of the world, lost parents when was little, can control the moon and the sun and nature, can talk to animals, is so kind and shy and talented."

This is a kind of poor character development called "Mary Sue." (Or "Gary Stu" for boy RP characters.)

Mary Sues and Gary Stus are no fun to RP with. They get past any obstacle with no problem at all, and everyone seems to love them.

However, there is such thing as an "Anti-Sue" or "Anti-Stu." It's like this: "Will dominate the world someday, has hidden powers of destruction, can control fire and explosions, can brainwash everyone, is very evil and cruel and evil."

So how do you make sure your character isn't a Mary Sue or Gary Stu? Run through this acronym while designing your character:

Little Penguins Waddle Backwards So Dolphins Lose

LPWBSDL stands for "looks, personality, weaknesses, backstory, skills, dislikes, and likes."

Looks: Unless it's normal to have a crazy look in the RP, then try to be natural. Your character can have strangely colored hair as long as there's a reason, like she dyes it. Same goes for eye color, but your character can have color contacts.

Personality: This is a big one and it's a really important factor in deciding if your character is a Mary Sue or Anti-Sue. The thing is, (mostly) everyone wants their character to be successful and happy and have a nice life like a lot of people in real life. But if your life is literally perfect and you get everything you want, it's not much fun! So put in some bad stuff like "is stubborn, selfish, lazy."

Weaknesses: This is also important. Just to clear things up, things like "too kind" are not weaknesses! They're positive traits in disguise. There is a way to rephrase it, though. "Too kind" can be rephrased to "doormat." "Too talented" can mean "has a too big ego." Weaknesses are a crucial part of any character and without them, your character is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu.

Backstory: The backstory is a little less important, but it plays a role in your character and who they are today.

Skills: It can be fun to have unique skills, as long as they're not too crazy! Like you could be a martial artist, or a painter, or have great baking skill!

Dislikes and Likes: When doing dislikes and likes--and I cannot stress this enough--make sure they fit the character! I don't know how many characters I've seen that tend to match the RP player instead of the character. The point of RPs are to be someone you're not, and you can't do that if your character's likes are really yours. Be creative!
I've been waiting for this ever since I've first seen an RP anywhere

kee

keeho_
Being too pretty or too good at everything

There’s nothing bad about being pretty or good at a lot of things, it’s just what people say when they try to defend their Mary-Sue’s so they don’t have to fix them.

Stubbornness.
This does not mean all stubbornness, only when the characters are only stubborn until somebody explains it do them, then they change their minds.

Rage or temper problems

Not all characters with rage issues are Mary-Sue’s. A Mary-Sue with rage issues will never attack or even snap at any important character . The Mary-Sue would also only attack characters that fully deserve it.

Shy

This is sometimes used to make her seem more innocent. Funny how it goes away as soon as the popular friends start talking to her.

Disliking powers

Mary-Sue’s will claim to dislike their powers, often saying, “I just want to be normal.” Even when she has no weakness and is loved.
I know this is an old post but I just stumbled upon this thread. This is how my rp characters used to be. If you rped with me back in 2015-2017, you know what I'm talking about. It was very... weird

PiVenturer

marmalady
I know this is an old post but I just stumbled upon this thread. This is how my rp characters used to be. If you rped with me back in 2015-2017, you know what I'm talking about. It was very... weird
I don’t remember when I made this post and I’m too lazy to scroll up and see. But I guarantee you it’s old and I find it really cringe now lol. I agree with some of it but now that I’ve grown more and it’s all super silly to me. No worries if you roleplayed that way. I personally don’t really role play at all anymore.

kee

keeho_
I don’t remember when I made this post and I’m too lazy to scroll up and see. But I guarantee you it’s old and I find it really cringe now lol. I agree with some of it but now that I’ve grown more and it’s all super silly to me. No worries if you roleplayed that way. I personally don’t really role play at all anymore.

Same. I havent rped in over a year