Do's and Don'ts of a RP Character

Is your character a Mary Sue/Gary Stu?

• Nope.

• No, it's an Anti-Sue!

• I think it is, but I like it this way.

• Oh no! It is! I'll fix it!

• I didn't read the thing yet :3

Results are only viewable after voting.

memows

(estp)
Also who says the good guys will win the first time?

Perhaps the bad side will win once. But then the good guys re-think, get info, get a few steps ahead, trip up the enemy, and beat them.

Who knows??
Who said the good guys are actually good? What if their own personal desires have blurred the lines between what is good for them and what is good for others around them? Favorite example: The Hobbit, their desires and the effects on those surrounding the party are very, very different.

ghostieboo

Cooler than you, I suppose
Usually, my antagonistic characters are less of the "big baddie" and more of a character with twisted morals and although is serving the greater good, is doing it in a very unnecessary fashion.

I usually categorize my characters as either offensive, defensive or more of a gray neutral. Finnick is more offensive with a sick pair of dual swords, but he relies too much on agility/speed instead of proper defense. Relying on my other character, Jr., to cover him (consequently draining more energy defending Finnick than properly defending himself and getting his main objective done.)
Negative and Gl1tch are my major "big baddies" and I have some other villains. They don't often have those kinds of weaknesses, but one of my villains, for example, Nex, can seamlessly create illusions to the point where they are real to a certain extent. (You feel and hear and see them but they aren't really there) And the smart thing is, he bends light and sound itself to create them, allowing him to fool even robots.
But if you CAN manage to tell what is and isn't real.. then you really have the upper hand against him as he is indeed heavily reliant on using illusions. Although you might wanna wrap up a fight with him fast, because he actually gets stronger the more injured he is.

ghostieboo

For example of the line between a difficult obstacle and a Mary Sue, (in this case, Anti-Sue) my character Negative is probably just under an Anti-Sue. Very powerful and has indeed destroyed realms in the past. Also very strong and can kill others without any kind of remorse at all. (Most of my worse villains feel no remorse for their actions)

But that's their weakness. It's such a dominant style that if you plan ahead, you could do a number of things to knock them over with their own medicine.

ghostieboo

For example of the line between a difficult obstacle and a Mary Sue, (in this case, Anti-Sue) my character Negative is probably just under an Anti-Sue. Very powerful and has indeed destroyed realms in the past. Also very strong and can kill others without any kind of remorse at all. (Most of my worse villains feel no remorse for their actions)

But that's their weakness. It's such a dominant style that if you plan ahead, you could do a number of things to knock them over with their own medicine.
(Well it's their main weakness anyways.. they obviously have more but imo that's the most effective way to take them down)

memows

(estp)
Negative and Gl1tch are my major "big baddies" and I have some other villains. They don't often have those kinds of weaknesses, but one of my villains, for example, Nex, can seamlessly create illusions to the point where they are real to a certain extent. (You feel and hear and see them but they aren't really there) And the smart thing is, he bends light and sound itself to create them, allowing him to fool even robots.
But if you CAN manage to tell what is and isn't real.. then you really have the upper hand against him as he is indeed heavily reliant on using illusions. Although you might wanna wrap up a fight with him fast, because he actually gets stronger the more injured he is.
I only have one real antagonist- Moria, she has no magic. She really isn't even that bad. She can easily justify her actions as she is protecting the reality she and those like her know and are used to. Honestly, I'd go as far as although she truly does some brutal and horrible things, she's just trying to save what's left of what she knows. She's a victim in a wave of the unknown. She can't tell anymore what truly is safe and secure, what does the searing searchlight of a twisted form of higher learning miss? Will she, or a loved one suddenly find themselves trapped in an inevitable decay that is a corrupt magic system?

(To elaborate, the magic system has two branches: light and dark. Neither of them is necessarily evil to say, but dark magic has been around much longer. And quite frankly, the deeper you go and the more you learn, it does not end well for you. But dark magic is genetical and only a couple strains are left of that.)

ghostieboo

I only have one real antagonist- Moria, she has no magic. She really isn't even that bad. She can easily justify her actions as she is protecting the reality she and those like her know and are used to. Honestly, I'd go as far as although she truly does some brutal and horrible things, she's just trying to save what's left of what she knows. She's a victim in a wave of the unknown. She can't tell anymore what truly is safe and secure, what does the searing searchlight of a twisted form of higher learning miss? Will she, or a loved one suddenly find themselves trapped in an inevitable decay that is a corrupt magic system?

(To elaborate, the magic system has two branches: light and dark. Neither of them is necessarily evil to say, but dark magic has been around much longer. And quite frankly, the deeper you go and the more you learn, it does not end well for you. But dark magic is genetical and only a couple strains are left of that.)
well me and some of my friends add on to that by adding magical energies and matters as well as brand new magic types like temporal, fusion, knowledge, empathic and more

Like the way we make characters dark magic is only bad if used for bad. Light magic can also be bad if it's used for bad.

memows

(estp)
well me and some of my friends add on to that by adding magical energies and matters as well as brand new magic types like temporal, fusion, knowledge, empathic and more

Like the way we make characters dark magic is only bad if used for bad. Light magic can also be bad if it's used for bad.
Right! Dark and light magic honestly are only different by means of how you cast the magic, the types of spells, and of course just overall lore and stuff. Probably won't expand on light magic too much since it will be used more of on a small scale. Dark magic is just "deeper", as in the more you involve yourself more stuff happens. Once you really get in, you get to make some nice acquaintances that are the past ancestors who got so involved they never really died. They basically just became some abstract entity that can only really be described as some paranormal being. Eventually, you might see yourself as joining their ranks as yet another abstract blob of spells binding yourself together as a whispering pestilence bothering those living beings who are just too curious for their own good.

ghostieboo

Right! Dark and light magic honestly are only different by means of how you cast the magic, the types of spells, and of course just overall lore and stuff. Probably won't expand on light magic too much since it will be used more of on a small scale. Dark magic is just "deeper", as in the more you involve yourself more stuff happens. Once you really get in, you get to make some nice acquaintances that are the past ancestors who got so involved they never really died. They basically just became some abstract entity that can only really be described as some paranormal being. Eventually, you might see yourself as joining their ranks as yet another abstract blob of spells binding yourself together as a whispering pestilence bothering those living beings who are just too curious for their own good.
Yeah, dark magic just has an over-all deeper theme to it imo. I mean one of my characters is a redeemed supervillain and they had light magic (although they were corrupted during that time)

StarFlight_99

Staff member
Ahhhh,
So it's a little-known fact, but I do roleplay. Not on SK because the character limit is way too tiny for me. I often get with a group and we will write 2k-3k word replies a piece if we are all into the plot. Each person I come across is a fantastic writer that can easily rival or surpass me. Most of us put years into our characters, constantly adjusting them and balancing them to find that perfect medium. But even with all that work and effort, I still come across roleplayers with enjoyable and fantastic characters that will often apologize for "Sorry if my character comes off as a mary-sue."
To which we often assure them. I have come across many of mary-sues and I often have my character avoid them at all costs (He's not a fan of overbearing people so that works in my favor LOL).
But all of us, those who are just starting or those who have literally been doing this for years struggle with our OC being seen as a Mary-sue. Man, I have had a couple. Either I stopped using them or recreated them. But with time your character creation WILL get better. You may have a mary-sue right now, but keep working with it, keep changing it. Weed out the unnecessary and keep the important. Take it from a veteran who had three mary-sues. It gets better.

ghostieboo

idk how i got here but ghost your a mary sue
i just realized these posts existed and because i dont wanna ruin such a gr8 thread i'll state 2 things here

1) as i stated before i've never e v e r intended that stuff.. i just get over-the-top without realizing it because im the person who's not fond of being easily beaten
2) if u have a problem with my rp style and such p l s private msg me about it n stuff k thx

StarFlight_99

Staff member
i just realized these posts existed and because i dont wanna ruin such a gr8 thread i'll state 2 things here

1) as i stated before i've never e v e r intended that stuff.. i just get over-the-top without realizing it because im the person who's not fond of being easily beaten
2) if u have a problem with my rp style and such p l s private msg me about it n stuff k thx
Why don't we drop this. I'm pretty sure they were joking, the walls don't need to come up over a off-handed joke okay?