Do's and Don'ts of a RP Character

Is your character a Mary Sue/Gary Stu?

• Nope.

• No, it's an Anti-Sue!

• I think it is, but I like it this way.

• Oh no! It is! I'll fix it!

• I didn't read the thing yet :3

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tree

i just wanna laugh
here you go
Ioh1Qvuc_400x400.jpg
enjoy your puppy
thajnkls friend

cally

queen of the woods · cathiethegreat
So is it possible to have a generic character (brown hair, green eyes) that is completely normal except they have a concussion and now have amnesia, and this character not be boring?
Like DarthKitten said, if you write it right.

But I’ve found that when judging characters, it helps to consider the backstory of the character. The character itself is only one piece of the puzzle.

Triacus

the Last Sith
So is it possible to have a generic character (brown hair, green eyes) that is completely normal except they have a concussion and now have amnesia, and this character not be boring?
In fact. you could have a COMPLETELY normal character, and it could be even more interesting than any other character, because the boringness of the character is only judged based on how you play it. Same as if you have a ridiculously OP character, but have a handicap, such as they are physically unable to use most of their powers. In fact, that could be part of their character. Is your character haunted by their inability to do something, but aware that deep down they are capable of it? Does it make them bitter to know that they could do so much more, but aren't able to because of this handicap? Or are they even aware that they are so powerful, and yet unable to use any of it.

LucyTheValiant

| Mennai in eleni ier ier á cala | INFJ-T |
In fact. you could have a COMPLETELY normal character, and it could be even more interesting than any other character, because the boringness of the character is only judged based on how you play it. Same as if you have a ridiculously OP character, but have a handicap, such as they are physically unable to use most of their powers. In fact, that could be part of their character. Is your character haunted by their inability to do something, but aware that deep down they are capable of it? Does it make them bitter to know that they could do so much more, but aren't able to because of this handicap? Or are they even aware that they are so powerful, and yet unable to use any of it.
The character doesn't have any powers at this point, but their whole amnesia thing makes them very distrustful of everyone, including people that they've know their entire life.

memows

(estp)
Have you ever watched/heard of the Jason Bourne series? It's essentially about a CIA agent who got amnesia after a failed mission (then the CIA proceeded to try and get rid of him for the rest of the series). The character himself is interesting, likable and he isn't portrayed as flashy or overpowered. He earned his cool CIA agent skills, not just pure fate. pretty much any prompt for a character has potential as long as you develop it. Bourne was interesting because of his CIA background and his general handling of it. Yours becomes interesting with their interaction with the world around like Dath, Tri and Lego said.

Anyway yea,

LucyTheValiant

Have you ever watched/heard of the Jason Bourne series? It's essentially about a CIA agent who got amnesia after a failed mission (then the CIA proceeded to try and get rid of him for the rest of the series). The character himself is interesting, likable and he isn't portrayed as flashy or overpowered. He earned his cool CIA agent skills, not just pure fate. pretty much any prompt for a character has potential as long as you develop it. Bourne was interesting because of his CIA background and his general handling of it. Yours becomes interesting with their interaction with the world around like Dath, Tri and Lego said.

Anyway yea,
Yes I have heard of Jason Bourne, but I didn't know that he had amnesia. Thanks!

Darthkitten216

♡look into your eyes and the skys the limit♡
The thing that really does it is consistency. Give them a personality and stay with it. If you are new to rping it may be useful to make the personality akin to your own.
Using your own personality is not really the best thing to do, if you really want to get good at writing just putting yourself into your story won't help you get better, and if you try to write other characters they may seem flat because you don't know how to write them. You can put parts of your personality into your characters in a way, if you have a character that experiences jealousy and you do as well, you can use your feelings as a reference. Just remember there are multiple ways to feel and react to jealousy, and other feelings, so make sure the way your character reacts is consistent with the rest of thier personality. If you are writing a character who acts nothing like you, observe how other people like them act and use that as a guide. Make sure you arent just choosing character cliches, and just pasting them onto your character though. People are so much more complex them that, but those cliches can serve as a good starting point for creating complex characters.

Triacus

the Last Sith
Using your own personality is not really the best thing to do, if you really want to get good at writing just putting yourself into your story won't help you get better, and if you try to write other characters they may seem flat because you don't know how to write them.
I mean to get used to the idea. It might be hard when you are starting off to try to play as someone else, so i would reccommend getting used to the idea.

LucyTheValiant

The thing that really does it is consistency. Give them a personality and stay with it. If you are new to rping it may be useful to make the personality akin to your own.
Fun fact: I've been rping (albeit with Mary Sue types) since the days of Bigideas and when Jumbosized still had private plot chats. But yes, I will try that starting afresh.

Keb

L Supremacy
I dont think it matters what the powers are, as long as they are legitimately beatable in one way or another and have flaws. Like you can have a very powerful character but give them a reason for that power and have it make sense in the story, and make sure they have real flaws that actually have a impact on them.
Like sometimes he can't control when he's a dragon...

ghostieboo

Cooler than you, I suppose
I'll just drop off major character weaknesses and then write a bad essay

Negative: Extremely powerful, but is very brawn-over-brain. Stupid Negative.
Efialtis: His power is reliant on the massive abundance of dark magic. However if he does have his supply of dark magic (or if he's in his world/prison, the Nightmare World) he's a practical god. He can only really harm places that are already corrupted and beyond saving.
Calamity: Has a lot of power, but it's thwarted by two things; he doesn't care enough to use it, and he gets extremely tired using it to it's full extent.
Lady Glitter Sparkle: -? How'd that get there?
Superbug: Never shows up, so, who even cares about this moron? He's too reliant about being able to edit the system of the game. A lil somethin to block his magic and he's dead.
Theta: Too logical. Use the element of surprise.