Do's and Don'ts of a RP Character

Is your character a Mary Sue/Gary Stu?

• Nope.

• No, it's an Anti-Sue!

• I think it is, but I like it this way.

• Oh no! It is! I'll fix it!

• I didn't read the thing yet :3

Results are only viewable after voting.

ghostieboo

Cooler than you, I suppose
I always remembered my posts on this thread being cringe because I thought that what I wrote there was really outdated (character-wise). I proved myself wrong. nice job me.
But as far as oc building goes--here's my process. the steps don't have to be followed in order tbh. I'll use sigmund as an example since she's new.

step 1: get a foundation. This is usually like an inspiration to make an oc. Personally, it just jumps from my mind. I don't really get it from outside sources but it might be different for you. I think up like this core identity of them that you are building off of. For Sigmund, I knew that this oc would be 1) female 2) used an axe as a weapon 3) strong.
step 2: From there, I thought about where she was in the world and in the timeline of the story. Without getting sidetracked, the timeline consists of 3 arcs and revolves around Jr. Sigmund would be a permanent main character in Arc 3. I knew she would have some type of close relationship with Jr and that she would be a reoccurring character after arc 3 finishes and Jr leaves Lyricia (the continent) to the island he was born in.

step 3: appearance. Now I go dig around and design her. I ask myself, where does she live (see step 2)? What's her environment? Do I have a vibe I'm after? I liked Astrid (HTTYD) and Brigitte's (OW) designs. But, since she has an aboriginal ethnicity and she lives in a biome with Arizona + semi-lush grassland oasis vibes, she would physically appear Native American. Remember my base note of strength? I'd rather it be natural strength, so she physically won't be ripped. muscle definition? definitely. 6 pack? No. I liked HZD aesthetic armor and clothing and kept that in mind when thinking about outfits. I kept a natural color palette with a pop of more saturated color so her palette would be mary-sueish.

step 4 [present]: personality. hmmmm well, the fun isn't over yet. But remember for personality: every positive has a corresponding negative. Often times the positive is the corresponding negative. Sue personalities don't consider consequences. They have personalities with polar opposite traits and no realistic reason why. I mean, shy people can be outgoing--but it's a different situation. I have a rough idea that Sigmund is not a polar opposite, but she is not too similar to Jr. She's extroverted, she looks before she leaps, she's attracted to a challenge and she's definitely a leader type. She has an actual interest in politics and isn't shy about talking about her opinion. She's a community person, she enjoys being around the company of people--and she doesn't mind busy city life. She is not a tree hugger. From these facts I can pull out traits: brave, stubborn, outspoken, family-orientated, more or less on the selfless side, calculated, organized, not overly empathetic, etc. It helps to compare and cotrast against other preexisting characters to help establish things. I don't really think about personality traits as completely positive or negative--anything can be anything depending on the situation. It's just a human trait.

step 5: refine and add. Sense of humor, likes and dislikes, etc. Just play around and see what sticks to them.
huh cool i do that and i didn't even know what my thought process was until noW

so i decided why not pick my favorite character out of the ones i made, Eclissare, and list out what i did for these steps owo

Step 1: (Foundation/inspiration/whatever) Iron Man. Plain and simple, I am a Marvel nerd and love Pony Barf's personality and just the character in general, so I based personality, some traits, and some abilities off of him. Oh, yes, I also stole Iron Man's arc reactor for Eclissare. I love you 3,000, Tony. (You won't understand unless you saw Endgame, so if you're confused, don't question it.)

Step 2: (Where in the world and timeline?) I was making him for @FairyKay 's "Something Changed" Superhero RP (go check it out it's 100/10), which is set way in the future, so he needed to be futuristic. Also decided instead of a human, he would be a robot with a crazy advanced A.I, emotions and everything. Made him cooler imo, and it was an excuse for him to never take off his armor "suit". It also opened up a gateway to give him a goal and motivation, as he was the creation of the roleplay's main villain, which allowed more story possibilities. To summarize, he was basically accidentally turned on when pretty much everything except his "good guy, bad guy" recognition chip was in, so that his creator could place digital trackers on people and allow Eclissare to instantly tell who was on which side. The creator (who I will from now on call Homer for simplicity) tried to turn him off, which Eclissare saw as bad. Then Homer was almost killed by Eli. I also took Iron Man's nanotech and decided that would be what his exoskeleton was made of. Quite a few other neat gadgets too.

Step 3: (Appearance) I just picked a set of armor that looked robotic enough from a game I really like, found a Minecraft skin for it, and decided "Yep that's what he looks like," . The skin didn't look directly like said armor so it also wasn't just a copy of something from a video game, lolz.

Step 4: (Personality) I also went with the same thing and also what was said about certain personalities earlier. Super smart? He can sometimes feel above others and be condescending. Confident? He can be arrogant. He also has an issue with threatening people with some very deadly things if they were to dare speak of being a superhero without being in their superhero disguise, or ever give out the location of the base. The rest of the personality was stuff I picked out for him during Step 5.

Step 5: (Refine and add) I basically just played as him a lot and picked out what I did and didn't like. If I didn't like it, I got rid of/replaced it. If I did like it, and it wasn't an OP ability or something similar, I added it.

Last edited:

memows

(estp)
True. Cedar used to be a pretty boy air-head, believe it or not. I have changed him A LOT.
ngl, im curious to see what you established as like his negative traits. I know I've been changing Jr's a bit (i really need to rewrite his like personality infodump i have in the character design thread) and since he and cedar have been so similar i wonder if thats where they start to differ??

Crypt

✨I want to stay by your side and never leave✨
ngl, im curious to see what you established as like his negative traits. I know I've been changing Jr's a bit (i really need to rewrite his like personality infodump i have in the character design thread) and since he and cedar have been so similar i wonder if thats where they start to differ??
Cedar is really jumpy. He scares really easily and tends to freak out when he even gets jump scared by a rabbit or something.

LucyTheValiant

| Mennai in eleni ier ier á cala | INFJ-T |
Woah woah y'all have these awesome processes and here I am with a rough character design based on me and maybe a few of my friends and with amnesia and y'all are all like "look at these 300 steps I use to formulate the perfect character." No wonder I can't work on anything involving OCs for more than two days smh

memows

(estp)
Woah woah y'all have these awesome processes and here I am with a rough character design based on me and maybe a few of my friends and with amnesia and y'all are all like "look at these 300 steps I use to formulate the perfect character." No wonder I can't work on anything involving OCs for more than two days smh
honestly my process is more accurately described as a slow evolution over eons of time ok jr/micah started off as a bowser jr ripoff and after slow evolution hes a passable oc so give it time and they'll bLossOM

LucyTheValiant

honestly my process is more accurately described as a slow evolution over eons of time ok jr/micah started off as a bowser jr ripoff and after slow evolution hes a passable oc so give it time and they'll bLossOM
I mean, my OCs have come quite a long way since I first started but they could still go Sue or Stu if I'm not careful

memows

(estp)
I mean, my OCs have come quite a long way since I first started but they could still go Sue or Stu if I'm not careful
easiest anti sue/stu (stue?) measure i know is flip their virtues upside down to be flaws. example: Jr is loyal, consequently, he holds grudges if he's double-crossed.

don't try to make them the best. give them like 1-2 things they can be good at and leave it at that. let them lose. let them do bad things that aren't justifiable. y'know, don't make them a knight in shining armor--and if they literally are a knight in shining armor make sure to flip that virtue fo sho

LucyTheValiant

easiest anti sue/stu (stue?) measure i know is flip their virtues upside down to be flaws. example: Jr is loyal, consequently, he holds grudges if he's double-crossed.

don't try to make them the best. give them like 1-2 things they can be good at and leave it at that. let them lose. let them do bad things that aren't justifiable. y'know, don't make them a knight in shining armor--and if they literally are a knight in shining armor make sure to flip that virtue fo sho
Right. My only fear is that I either a) end up with a damsel-in-distress type, or b) end up with a Katniss type. Thanks for the advice!

Crypt

✨I want to stay by your side and never leave✨
Same.

LucyTheValiant

mine is more of just what I do, rather than a "This is what I mentally force myself to do and I do this everytime!"
Honestly my character design steps arent like a formula dont go tryna steal them
but if you want a tip if you go "Ravioli, Ravioli, show me the formioli"
Now I'm hungry for pasta

abeautifulrose

gingerbread boy
okay lately in roleplays ive been seeing a lot of meifwas and werewolves (and fox people). n o w in all fairness, half-animal characters are OK, when done correctly. when making my half animal characters i usually stay away from wolves, dogs, cats and foxes they’re very overused and become.. slightly less fun to roleplay around. i like to use more diverse species, like the artic fox and i have a half lynx oc. a l s o what ive been seeing is people role playing as tv characters and the etc, sometimes it’s okay, but if it’s just consistant, it’s really bothering m e.. we need to combat these issues, but h o w

abeautifulrose

gingerbread boy
okay lately in roleplays ive been seeing a lot of meifwas and werewolves (and fox people). n o w in all fairness, half-animal characters are OK, when done correctly. when making my half animal characters i usually stay away from wolves, dogs, cats and foxes they’re very overused and become.. slightly less fun to roleplay around. i like to use more diverse species, like the artic fox and i have a half lynx oc. a l s o what ive been seeing is people role playing as tv characters and the etc, sometimes it’s okay, but if it’s just consistant, it’s really bothering m e.. we need to combat these issues, but h o w
i was watching the public chat last night in sb, and i noticed that a lot of people’s characters were “unloved” or “hated their powers” or “nobody really wants me”, the hated child sort of thing.

ghostieboo

i was watching the public chat last night in sb, and i noticed that a lot of people’s characters were “unloved” or “hated their powers” or “nobody really wants me”, the hated child sort of thing.
oh goodness 9/10 times the "hated child" character is always done cringy and wrong

it makes an AMAZING character if you can pull it off right but most people can't pull it off just right

cally

queen of the woods · cathiethegreat
oh goodness 9/10 times the "hated child" character is always done cringy and wrong

it makes an AMAZING character if you can pull it off right but most people can't pull it off just right
y e s finally
people who u n d e r st a nd me

edit: but seriously yes hated child is.. exciting

ghostieboo

The two I put in bold are also really good character builds if you pull it off right.
I have yet to see a good character that is built off the one I underlined.

ghostieboo

The two I put in bold are also really good character builds if you pull it off right.
I have yet to see a good character that is built off the one I underlined.
Unless the "I hate my powers" involves powers that cause harm to the one who has them, but usually it's a disguise mechanism for Mary Sues who have amazing powers.

cally

queen of the woods · cathiethegreat
Unless the "I hate my powers" involves powers that cause harm to the one who has them, but usually it's a disguise mechanism for Mary Sues who have amazing powers.
deeeeefinitely not going to use that idea for a good character thx :')