Everything Wrong With Factions v2

ghostieboo

Cooler than you, I suppose
So a while back I made a thread about everything that was wrong with factions. Now sense then i have quit and came back to find that factions is still objectively bad. (no offense supers ;)) There are many things wrong with it and im gonna list the bigger ones out and possible solutions to these problems.

1. The shop.

The shop is... horrible. I think SK went more for looks than practicality when it came to the shop, because it makes no sense. The organization is very strange for a lot of things, and its WAY too big. Like if you dont know where the item you are looking for is you have to walk ALL the way around this like 5x5 area and it takes a good minute to find what you need which isnt very fun. I would also like to see the ability to buy/sell a different number of items. For example maybe I only want to buy 16 wood logs instead of 64. And the final thing with the shop is not everything people need is in it. I can understand not having every block in the game for sale because that would make the shop way too big, but with all the space you have you should be able to fit alot more items in it than you do.

Possible solutions to this is to just build/download a new shop. If you have some decent builders on hand it should be fairly easy and if not you can simply search up Factions Shop and find plenty to chose from.

Another idea is to make a /shop.
Players would be able to type /shop and it would open up a gui. From there you could have categories of items to chose from and then when you select an item you would be able to chose to left click (buy) or right click (sell) and from there you can chose to buy/sell 1, 16, 64, or an inventory of items if you have the funds.

You could also make a shop sort of like the last one but instead of having a command that does it you could go to a /warp shop and there are villagers there that when you right click it opens the same gui. There are plenty of plugins that can do this and its fairly simple to set up.

2. Updated faction plugin.

The factions plugin you seem to be using is either Custom or VERY old. The reason I say this is because it does not have a LOT of simple commands which are very helpful when it comes to factions. For example if you updated the plugin you used you could have things like /f warp which are custom warps set by the faction and only members of the faction can use. Or /f c f which is a chat that only other faction members (and certain staff) can see. Now I heard somewhere that the reasoning behind not having a /f c f is because players could bully others or break the rules in that chat and the staff wont be able to do anything about it. But this could be fixed with a simple /report command which will log all recent messages sent by a specific player for a staff to later review and punish accordingly. Many plugins have this feature.

3. Sand Mechanics.

This is honestly the biggest problem SK factions has to this day. Any server that is running a minecraft version that is 1.8+ probably has a 1.7 sand mechanics plugin. This is the most needed thing on SK factions easily. Basically when minecraft updated to 1.8 They changed the way sand worked so that most cannons dont work. So if you want to do anything that stacks more than one block of sand per shot, you need this plugin. This is VERY important because at this point it is so hard to get into a base that is at y level 255 and has more than 1 wall to the point where people dont even try. So a plugin that fixed this would be VERY useful.

4. Lying

This one is a bit controversial because alot of people disagree with this one but please hear me out.

Factions is a war based game-mode and one of the most fun parts of it in my opinion is insiding. Insiding is when you join a faction, get trusted enough to the point where you have access to the main areas of the base, then leave the faction and take everything for yourself. Now this seems a bit scummy and unfair but thats just how the game is meant to be. Now the only thing stopping this is the rule on lying. Basically since its bannable to lie on the server, if you just make the person promise not to inside before they get access to the main areas of the base, its practically impossible to inside. So I suggest you make an exception to this rule and say that in the case of insiding, tricking people in that way should be allowed. Since its a game and all and most people that play factions are mature enough to deal with someone tricking them and taking their stuff. One of the biggest reasons of why this would be helpful is a lot of the people that play SK dont know how to cannon and dont have the time to learn how. This would be a good way to raid people.

Thanks for reading the whole thing and I would LOVE to hear you guys's opinions on all these.

@Supere
@SuperMom767

EDIT: Any suggestion appearing after this message has been added AFTER the original thread was made, so these are suggestions by myself that I forgot and/or community suggestions.

5. Donator Commands

Now donators dont get much when it comes to factions besides a fancy prefix. So I think it would add more of a reason to buy a rank as well as bringing other players who already have a rank to factions if they got a few added bonuses. These could be commands like /back (brings you to the location you were before your last teleport) more /sethomes, /feed, and things like that. That give hardly any competitive advantage but adds more insentive for the people who have ranks to play and for the non donators out there to consider purchasing one.

6. Map Size
The map size is WAY too big for the amount of players in it. a 10k border but only averaging about 2-3 player online at once is really not the best. There is SO much space and not enough players to fill it. This makes bases REALLY rare and just makes the overall experience not as fun. What I suggest is making the border of the overworld 1k by 1k. That may seem small but in doing this you could also add the end and nether. The end would have a spawn similar to the overworld but after that it would be flat ground of end stone about 70 blocks up going till a border of 1k as well. The nether will have a general spawn area, but after about 100 blocks away from the spawn area it becomes a randomly generated default nether. This would make it so there are 1k borders in all the worlds but since there are 3 of them it all evens out.

7. Power
The power in skrafty factions is really unbalanced for a lot of reasons. You start out with 0 power and the max power someone can get is 10, but it combines with other faction members, and you gain one power for every hour of gameplay. Now this is not a very good way to do things. Firstly if someone new joins the server and they play for about 3 hours and they make a base. But you can only claim 3 chunks which really isnt a lot. Second, the max power you can get is WAY too small. If anyone wants to make a base thats fairly big, you would have to get alts on to afk in order to get more power to claim the whole base. What I suggest is how most factions servers do it. Start with 10 power and your max power be somewhere between 25-50. This would increase the base size of sk encouraging players to build more and learn how to use redstone to cannon into the bases. Gaining 1 power every 15 minutes or so.
I definitely do NOT support map size. That makes it way too easy to find bases; in case you didn't know, 1k blocks isn't hard to travel on foot. At ALL.
Power is ok, but large bases for solo people kinda takes away from the point of having a giant, dominating faction.
Donator commands are meh. Elaborate on what /feed is? Other than that I think that the donor suggestions are fine.

I 100% agree with the first three. Lying I do not agree on for the reasons Fell and SM listed already.

Also, I know how to build a certain cannon that can launch blocks really high up (they cross an SB plot even)
so finetune a cannon like that and a y level 255 base should be easy to raid?? But sand mechanics would probably be nice anyways

Speedrix

Published Author, Game Developer, just a sped
Do anything otherwise to get the base raided? C H E C K . That's betraying the trust of the one letting you into the base.
That's not rly authentic if it's an accident and someone follows you to your base it's a simple mistake unless you told them or something

Speedrix

A smart person can still get you in trouble if you use a loophole.
This is really why you should only let trusted people you've known for over 2 years or something be in your base there's always a loophole and if it isn't lieing or going against anything they said it's not their fault that's factions

ghostieboo

This is really why you should only let trusted people you've known for over 2 years or something be in your base there's always a loophole and if it isn't lieing or going against anything they said it's not their fault that's factions
If you loophole a smart person, said smart person will find a loophole inside your loophole that can get you in trouble.
But seriously, who would go to their base on foot without deliberately letting someone follow them?

Speedrix

Lead them to a trapped base
^
If you loophole a smart person, said smart person will find a loophole inside your loophole that can get you in trouble.
But seriously, who would go to their base on foot without deliberately letting someone follow them?
And idk ppl do weird stuff it's possible and if you are a smart person yourself then you can find a loophole for their loophole loopholing your first loophole

The_Local_Dad

sweaty mineman
Ok so firstly id like to say that im sorry for not responding to some of the things that were said in the past month or so? I've been super busy and then a few weeks ago I got my tonsils out so I haven't really been on that much anyways.
I definitely do NOT support map size. That makes it way too easy to find bases; in case you didn't know, 1k blocks isn't hard to travel on foot. At ALL.
1k by 1k was only for the overworld. Theres also the nether and the end with the same size. And the reason I say it should be much smaller is because skrafty is a fairly small server. There arent a lot of bases to begin with and most of them end up being underground anyways. Half the time if you put your base around like 7k 7k. Nobody is gonna find it, and nobody is gonna raid it. Making the maps smaller (3 1k by 1k worlds) it would increase the raiding and actually make it more like factions. Map size has to change with the player count.
Power is ok, but large bases for solo people kinda takes away from the point of having a giant, dominating faction.
What if you join later in the map and everyones already in a faction. The bigger ones wont let you in, and the smaller ones will let you in but they arent taking the game as seriously as you'd like to. You basically have 2 options. Join one of the smaller factions and settle for not being able to play the game competitively. Or try to make a base with the 10 chunks you are allowed.
Donator commands are meh. Elaborate on what /feed is? Other than that I think that the donor suggestions are fine.
/feed is a command that will basically restore all your hunger bars. It comes with the base essentials plugin. It gives a small advantage of not having to have a slot in your inventory taken by food but not too big of one.
Also, I know how to build a certain cannon that can launch blocks really high up (they cross an SB plot even)
so finetune a cannon like that and a y level 255 base should be easy to raid?? But sand mechanics would probably be nice anyways
By removing sand and making tnt just ignore water, completely ruins the point of watering a base at all, and you have way less options for what cannons you can make. Just make it how everyone else does it and have tnt NOT ignore water and you have to use sand, but maybe make a tutorial cannon at a help area thats a really simple one stacker so people can copy it to get their first cannon going before they learn how it works.

ghostieboo

1k by 1k was only for the overworld. Theres also the nether and the end with the same size. And the reason I say it should be much smaller is because skrafty is a fairly small server. There arent a lot of bases to begin with and most of them end up being underground anyways. Half the time if you put your base around like 7k 7k. Nobody is gonna find it, and nobody is gonna raid it. Making the maps smaller (3 1k by 1k worlds) it would increase the raiding and actually make it more like factions. Map size has to change with the player count.
I see your point, but there are some experienced raiders who play factions and have big factions as well with other experienced raiders; Also, the end's impact is DRASTICALLY reduced due to the islands layout. Also, I believe the End was disabled due to the death of the Ender Dragon causing corrupt chunks, which, if you happened to be in, meant you'd have to get your player-data reset (basically sent back to square one) or else you joining kicked everyone on the server.
What if you join later in the map and everyones already in a faction. The bigger ones wont let you in, and the smaller ones will let you in but they arent taking the game as seriously as you'd like to. You basically have 2 options. Join one of the smaller factions and settle for not being able to play the game competitively. Or try to make a base with the 10 chunks you are allowed.
Not my fault you were late. :p
(Seriously, while yes 10 is slightly small 50 chunks is over-the-top and does destroy the point of having a giant faction if you can make a big base with not a single member)
Ok so firstly id like to say that im sorry for not responding to some of the things that were said in the past month or so? I've been super busy and then a few weeks ago I got my tonsils out so I haven't really been on that much anyways.

/feed is a command that will basically restore all your hunger bars. It comes with the base essentials plugin. It gives a small advantage of not having to have a slot in your inventory taken by food but not too big of one.
Fair enough.
By removing sand and making tnt just ignore water, completely ruins the point of watering a base at all, and you have way less options for what cannons you can make. Just make it how everyone else does it and have tnt NOT ignore water and you have to use sand, but maybe make a tutorial cannon at a help area thats a really simple one stacker so people can copy it to get their first cannon going before they learn how it works.
Again, fair enough, but doesn't using sand also destroy the point of needing to water a base?

The_Local_Dad

sweaty mineman
see your point, but there are some experienced raiders who play factions and have big factions as well with other experienced raiders; Also, the end's impact is DRASTICALLY reduced due to the islands layout. Also, I believe the End was disabled due to the death of the Ender Dragon causing corrupt chunks, which, if you happened to be in, meant you'd have to get your player-data reset (basically sent back to square one) or else you joining kicked everyone on the server.
They can kill the enderdragon before releasing the server so that way nobody can kill it after ruining the chunks, And from there you can remove all the stuff from it and start from scratch.
Not my fault you were late. :p
(Seriously, while yes 10 is slightly small 50 chunks is over-the-top and does destroy the point of having a giant faction if you can make a big base with not a single member)
It really wouldnt. 10 chunks gives you almost no room at all to make and it doesnt destroy the point of having a big faction because they can make even bigger bases. It just evens out the playing field a lot more in my opinion
Again, fair enough, but doesn't using sand also destroy the point of needing to water a base?
The effort it takes to make a regular cannon with no sand and the effort it takes to build a cannon that shoots sand is drastically different. It basically makes it so you have to use a lot more tnt to get into it which makes it cost more to raid.

ghostieboo

They can kill the enderdragon before releasing the server so that way nobody can kill it after ruining the chunks, And from there you can remove all the stuff from it and start from scratch.

It really wouldnt. 10 chunks gives you almost no room at all to make and it doesnt destroy the point of having a big faction because they can make even bigger bases. It just evens out the playing field a lot more in my opinion

The effort it takes to make a regular cannon with no sand and the effort it takes to build a cannon that shoots sand is drastically different. It basically makes it so you have to use a lot more tnt to get into it which makes it cost more to raid.
(1) I assume you haven't heard of respawning the dragon??
(2) The point is that smaller factions are at a disadvantage. I say if it gets an increase it can be 20 per person tops.
(3) Fair enough